Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Do You Have a Thrift Store Limit?

I had a very thrifty day today. I went to the infamous thrift store down the street. In case you missed it, the thrift store is called Village Economy and it's located in Woodbridge, VA. :-) I was very disappointed today....the clothes in there are getting more and more expensive. Well, expensive for a thrift store...it's really getting out of hand. If you're going to spend over a certain amount you might as well shop at F21 or Wet Seal. I don't have a set limit, but I'm starting to think I should set one.....

A BCBG dress that was $7.90....i loved it, but it was too big for me...and it was a small.


The back. :D



Cute dress.


But not for $6.90.


This was a very cute dress, but I've seen so many dresses like this around the same price at retail stores....

A F21 comparable...




And why is this dress $9.90??? Just because it's from The Limited?

Point blank. If I think I can get it from a regular retail store for around the same price, then I won't buy it. If it's used the price should be lower...not stay the same. I'm noticing that the Village Economy marks some of the designer items more just because of the name. I guess it doesn't matter to them how old the clothing is & what season it came out. Do you have a limit for thrift stores? If so, what's your limit? Or am I just being too cheap? While in Memphis, I noticed their thrift stores were way cheaper. So naturally this is making me look at VE sideways...

P.S. Pics courtesy of my phone. ;-) I'm making the best out of the situation. Can't cry over spilled milk forever.

-K.D.

5 comments:

Dina's Days said...

I totally agree. I remember when I used to go to my local thrift shop back about 6 pr 7 years ago when I was still in high school I used to score the BEST deals. Lately, it's like they focus on their "new item" section and it's all way too over priced for a thrift store. No thanks!

SweetTea said...

In my experience, there have been 2 deciding factors as to how the items are priced. 1)the area where your thrift store is located and 2)who is doing the pricing. Also, thrifting is way more popular than it used to be, so prices change with the demand.

Kenya said...

@DD Yes! I totally agree. I wish I'd started shopping at thrift stores sooner.

-K.D.

@TbT Thanks for the tips Tiffany! I do need to take into consideration that thrifting is way more popular now. :\

Mademoiselle Ruta said...

I know what you mean. It sucks when they overprice things. might as well buy it new, but I guess it takes luck to find the totally awesome deals.

Anonymous said...

This was my favorite place---I didn't mind traveling from Fairfax Co to shop there---the deals were that good. Went today, and was crestfallen!! Reminds me of a thrift store that was in Alex--it was awesome until one day....you know the "good run" has come to an end. I left w/o buying anything after seeing $9.90 sweaters and a pair of USED no-name boots for $18.90. I was heartbroken....it was my secret getaway....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...